Summer with lots of berries and fruits does not last forever. It can be extended, for example, by freezing them for the winter. It would seem that freezing strawberries or wild strawberries at home, what's so difficult? But there are a lot of nuances in this business. About how to freeze these delicate berries, we will tell in this material.
Selection of berries and their preparation
- Many recipes for strawberry freezing begin with recommendations for thorough washing and removal of sepals from it. But this is not true. The secret of this berry is that it should not be washed before freezing. Therefore, you need to choose only perfect berries, without any flaws.
- Ponytails from them also can not be torn off, otherwise the integrity of the berry will be broken, and moisture and air will penetrate inside it. This will prevent its long-term storage.
- Fresh, only ripped berries are best stored. They should not be too ripe and soft, otherwise they will lose their shape when defrosting.
- Berries in later varieties have less moisture than in early fruits.
- If you can’t do without washing strawberries, then you should turn to the secret of Italian culinary specialists. They rinse the berries with white wine and carefully dry them.
The benefits of frozen strawberries
If you properly freeze and thaw the miracle berry, then it does not lose its beneficial properties. What is rich in frozen strawberries?
- The amount of vitamin C in it can be compared with lemon or blackcurrant. For example, in five berries it is as much as in one orange.
- Folic acid, which is necessary for expectant mothers and those who are planning a pregnancy.
- It has a lot of pectins that help digestion, as well as antioxidants and fiber, ridding the body of toxins.
- Minerals and trace elements - magnesium, iodine, potassium, copper and others.
- Omega-3 fatty acids, which are necessary for the full development of the child, prevent the occurrence of inflammation, regulate hormonal balance and much more.
Strawberry Freeze Technology
There are several options for freezing strawberries for the winter. The easiest way is as follows:
- The berries are stacked in bags on fasteners or in ordinary ones that need to be tightly tied.
- Packages are placed in rectangular trays and so are frozen.
- Then they are put in the freezer already without trays.
How to freeze strawberries for the winter (video)
In this case, you must adhere to such rules:
- taking into account that thawed berries cannot be re-frozen, you need to freeze them in small portions;
- it is better to first place the strawberries in the freezer on a flat surface, let it freeze slightly, and then put it in a bag and tray.
Another method of freezing is as follows:
- Whole, unwashed strawberries are peeled and dipped in powdered sugar.
- Stack it in layers in a container, pouring each layer with powder.
- The container is placed in the freezer. At the same time, it is important that strawberries do not have time to let the juice go.
Method number 3:
- The washed and peeled berries are crushed by a blender.
- Sugar is added to this mass, and everything is mixed.
- The berry puree is folded into plastic containers, covered with lids and frozen.
- An economical variation of this method is to unfold the strawberry mixture in plastic cups, which are placed in bags after freezing.
Storage and defrost rules
Berries should be stored at a temperature of 18-22 degrees below zero. If they were frozen quickly and correctly, then they can be stored in the freezer without loss of properties and taste for up to 9 months. At a temperature of -15 berries are stored no more than six months. And if the temperature is at least three degrees higher, then no more than 3 months. In this case, the packages should lie freely, and not in several layers.
Berries should be thawed slowly; the recommended temperature is around zero. This is best done on the top shelf of the refrigerator.
Recipes and Uses
After defrosting, strawberries can be used in various recipes. Strawberry is also suitable as a filling for pies, pies, pancakes, with it you can cook a variety of desserts and drinks. It is always delicious. Some interesting recipes for desserts from frozen strawberries are offered.
Pie in a slow cooker
A set of products: one and a half glasses of flour, half a glass of sugar, a bag of baking powder, lemon peel, 2 eggs, half a glass of sweet yogurt, a glass of strawberries.
- mix flour, sugar and baking powder;
- pour yogurt, 3 tablespoons of sunflower oil, lemon zest;
- beat eggs and add to the dough;
- lay out the last berries, mix everything carefully;
- bake in the slow cooker with the “baking” mode for 1 hour, and in the oven - at 180 degrees 45 minutes.
Ice cream with strawberries, or sorbet
You can do it like this:
- mix the zest of 2 lemons and an orange with a glass of sugar and an incomplete glass of water, cook until thickened for 10 minutes and cool;
- squeeze citrus juice;
- mix it with a kilogram of strawberries and syrup, pass everything through a blender;
- shift dessert into containers and place in the freezer;
- defrost as necessary 30 minutes.
Half a glass of frozen strawberries, a glass of fruit yogurt, a third of a glass of orange juice are mixed in a blender. The drink is served in a glass with a straw decorated with a strawberry. You can replace yogurt with a glass of cold milk and add banana and a little cinnamon instead of orange juice.
Frozen Strawberry Jelly
For him you need: 3 cups of water, a pound of berries, half a glass of sugar and a spoonful of gelatin. It is bred in a glass of ice water and left for 2 hours. Then heated in a water bath, preventing boiling. The thawed berries are crushed, the juice is separated, and the mashed potatoes, poured with water, boiled with sugar for about 10 minutes. Juice, dissolved gelatin is poured into the cooled mashed potatoes, mixed and poured into silicone molds. At the bottom they can be put on a pair of berries. Dessert is placed in the refrigerator until thickened.
We also offer you to read an article that talks about how to cook a "five minute" of red currant.
Many people like to make frozen strawberry desserts. Both children and adults are happy to eat them. But from these berries, according to women, one can also make useful and inexpensive cosmetics:
- Mask for dry skin. For her, you need to beat a handful of strawberries with a teaspoon of honey and sour cream. Apply on face for 15 minutes, then rinse.
- Mask for refreshing facial skin. Puree from whipped berries in a blender is applied using gauze for 15 minutes on the face.
- Strawberry Scrub. To chopped berries (half a glass) add 2 tablespoons of olive oil and a spoonful of honey. The tool is rubbed into the skin on the face for about five minutes, and then washed off.
Strawberry Freeze: The Easiest Way (video)
Can I use frozen strawberries in the same way as fresh strawberries? Of course, she is no worse than fresh berries. There are as many benefits from her. But all this provided that the berries were frozen quickly, storage was correct, and defrosting was gradual.