Early ripe potatoes "Rosana" was bred more than twenty years ago by German leading experts in the field of selective work with vegetable crops and managed to gain reasonable popularity in many countries due to its excellent characteristics.
Originator - Germicopa. The variety is included in the State Register of the Russian Federation for the Central Region.
Bushes of "Rosana" potatoes are medium tall, intermediate type, from semi-upright to relatively sprawling. Floral corollas are large, purple with a reddish tint. Leaves are medium to large, closed to intermediate, green to dark green.
The tubers are elongated-oval, weighing up to 147.5 g, covered with a red, smooth peel with small eyes. The pulp in the section is beige-yellow in color, contains starch up to 13.2-13.5%. Ripening early. The purpose of potato tubers is mainly table.
Potato "Rosana" is characterized by high productivity and forms on each bush about 15-17 very attractive tubers. The variety is early and allows you to get a good harvest as soon as possible. Due to the low content of starchy substances, the pulp does not boil too much. This variety can be used for drying and further processing in dry form.
Reviews from gardeners and consumers characterize Rosana potatoes as having good keeping quality, which is extremely rare when growing early varieties. Like most varieties from German and Dutch breeding, the variety "Rosana" is highly resistant to viral damage.
How to sprout potatoes (video)
Dates and features of landing
Potato "Rosana" is not too demanding on the composition of the soil, but the highest yield indicators are characteristic of a vegetable crop planted in accordance with all the rules and in areas with a good agricultural background, including the following measures:
- Pre-treatment of planting material, including landscaping, germination and decontamination. Such treatment is not necessary, but it helps to increase the yield, accelerates growth and protects the plant from all kinds of diseases and numerous pests.
- Soil cultivation in the area reserved for potato planting, carried out in the autumn, after harvesting crops of predecessors. If necessary, in addition to digging, fertilizers are applied and the water holding capacity of the soil and air permeability are improved.
- Choosing the best timing for planting potatoes. It is important to consider not only weather conditions and soil conditions, but also soil temperature indicators, which should not be lower than + 8-10 ° C.
- You should not only correctly determine the timing of planting, but also follow the pattern of planting planting material. The standard planting pattern is 60 x 35 cm or 70 x 35 cm. With a thickened planting pattern, the yield may remain the same, but the market value of tubers will decrease. With sparse plantings, the value of tubers will increase, but the overall yield will decrease.
- However, regardless of the chosen planting scheme, potato tubers must be planted at the same depth of 6-9 cm, and the plantings themselves should be placed in even rows, from north to south.
Advantages and disadvantages
Potatoes "Rosana", indeed, deservedly enjoyed popularity. Such a demand for this variety in potato growers and gardeners is justified by many positive characteristics and advantages:
- productivity one and a half months after the appearance of full seedlings varies from 145 to 245 kg / ha;
- good taste;
- marketability of the harvest reaches 96%;
- has immunity to the causative agent of potato cancer;
- highly resistant to damage by a golden potato cyst-forming nematode;
- suitable for long-term storage, keeping indices not lower than 88%;
- high resistance to various damaging mechanical factors and suitability for transportation.
In addition, the variety is quite unpretentious and with a standard agricultural background forms a yield of 340-410 kg per hundred square meters. In conditions of high agricultural technology, the yield can increase up to 450 kg or more from each hundredth. Planting material does not need to be updated for four to five years.
We also suggest that you familiarize yourself with the methodology for growing potatoes of the Ausonia variety.
Potato "Rosana" is not among the too demanding varieties. However, the formation of potato tubers proceeds well at soil temperatures of about + 17-20 ° C. The presence of waterlogged soil with a temperature below + 7 ° C or too dry soil at a temperature of + 25 ° C and more negatively affects the development of this vegetable crop. In addition, you should adhere to the following requirements for the care of this vegetable crop:
- Irrigate, given that at the beginning of an active growing season, potatoes consume a small amount of water, but its lack during budding and flowering can negatively affect the yield and quality of tubers.
- Root and foliar top dressing of potatoes should be carried out on poor soils or if there is a very weak, slow development of bushes.
- Preventive and protective spraying with chemical agents is carried out in clear weather, after the dew has completely subsided, and the air temperature will not be lower than + 18 ° C. To protect the tops from the Colorado potato beetle, it is recommended to spray the plants with an ash-soap solution.
How to care for potatoes (video)
The first digging of rosana potatoes can be done in a month and a half. However, the full period from germination to technical maturity is approximately 70-75 days.