Apricot "Sardoniks" ("Sardoniks") refers to early, very productive varieties. It was obtained as a result of crossbreeding a parental pair represented by the Champion of the North and Amber varieties.
Description and features of the variety
Apricot trees "Sardonyx" medium growth, with a dense and spreading crown. A characteristic feature is the excellent winter hardiness of not only wood, but also color buds. The frost resistance of adult plants is not less than -33.3-33.7 ° C, and the frost resistance of flowers and flower buds at the level of -2.8 ° C.
Crop ripening occurs in early August. Apricot trees enter the fruiting phase in the fourth or fifth year. The variety belongs to the category of partially self-fertile, so gardeners need to take care in advance of planting an apricot seedling on the plot with similar flowering and fruiting periods.
Fruits are large, ovoid or flattened. The average weight of apricot reaches 48-52 g. The pulp of a ripe yellow fruit, dense texture, very delicate, with a pleasant aroma and good taste. The stone at the stage of complete ripening is easily separated from the pulp. The taste of fruits on a five-point tasting scale is estimated at 4.23-4.28 points.
Planting seedlings in spring and autumn
Apricot seedlings of the domestic variety "Sardonyx" can be planted in spring and autumn. The preferred option is to plant in the spring according to the following technology:
- Prepare landing pits for spring planting should be in the fall;
- the optimal dimensions of the landing pits are approximately 70 x 80 cm with a depth of at least 60 cm;
- a layer of drainage in the form of a brick fight, branches or gravel should be filled up at the bottom of the landing pit, and then sprinkled with a loose soil mixture of wood ash, humus and fertile topsoil;
- the standard distance between the planting pits for apricot should not be less than three meters, which will allow fruit trees to provide the optimal area for the development and nutrition of the root system;
- the roots of apricot seedlings should be carefully spread and sprinkled with prepared in advance black soil, which is slightly rammed around the plant stem.
After planting, each plant must be watered with plenty of water, based on a pair of buckets for one apricot seedling. If necessary, the soil is added to the trunks and subsequent mulching with sawdust.
For planting in the autumn, the preparation of landing pits is carried out at least a couple of weeks before the expected date of work, which will allow the soil to settle to the desired level.
How to prune apricot (video)
Prevention of diseases and pests
For the Sardonyx apricot, the correct preventative treatment is very important, which allows the fruit tree to remain not only healthy, but also very productive for a long time:
- before the buds open, the tree bark is protected from sunburn, and measures are taken to destroy the overwintered pests and fungal diseases developing under the bark;
- pruned branches are trimmed, necrotic patches on the cortex are cleared to healthy tissues, subsequent disinfection of open wounds or cuts with a 1% solution of copper sulfate with garden varieties is carried out;
- before the flowering stage and after flowering, plants are sprayed with colloidal sulfur at a temperature of 18 ° C or higher or with the Neoron preparation, which has good efficiency both at low and high temperature conditions;
- during the period of growth and development of the fruit, it is required to carry out treatment against sucking and leaf-eating pests by Decis, Fufanon, Kemifos, Iskra, Citkor, Kinmiks or Fury, and also spray the plants with colloidal sulfur.
After harvesting, it is necessary to remove and burn fallen leaves and rotten fruits, and if necessary, spray garden plants with insectofungicides and whitewash the trunk and the fork of the skeletal branches.
Gardeners reviews and tips
Domestic apricot variety "Sardonyx" from the selection of the Voronezh Agricultural Institute is highly regarded and receives positive reviews due to early maturity and very high yield. The fruits are large, of universal use, but, according to the observations of summer residents, are best suited for compotes, preserves and jams. The bone contains a sweetish, bitterness-free core.
Apricots in Siberia: varieties of varieties (video)
According to experienced gardeners, the most convenient and productive is the crown, formed during trimming in a cup-shaped or tiered type. Excellent winter hardiness of adult trees reduces the need for warming of fruit stands. The description of the variety and its characteristics make Sardoniks apricot one of the most promising varieties for cultivation in home gardening.