Finishing materials for a country house can be for indoor and outdoor use, for insulation, sheathing, waterproofing or decoration. But in this article we will present the most popular of them, which can help with high-quality home improvement in the country.
On the site DachaDecor.ru there are already feature articles about some heaters, finishing materials for floors, walls, roof finishes. Also, you can always read about how to tidy the exterior walls of the house with your own hands or what construction materials to choose for a new summer cottage project. But today we decided to make a short list of the main finishing materials in the country, which can be used both inside and outside the house.
Finishing materials for interior work in a country house
We start with internal work and study the main materials that are used to increase comfort!
What you need to repair a private house
Hundreds of items could be included in this list, because manufacturers have worked hard to fill the shelves of building supermarkets with their goods. But we will point out only those materials that we may need most of all.
The walls of a country house, like ceilings and floors, often become unusable due to aging, high humidity, uninhabited premises. Materials begin to crack, crumble, exfoliate, and therefore they need to be put in order in time to maintain the home in good condition.
We described the repair of a country house and some of its premises earlier, affecting many important processes that can extend the operational life of a building. But in more detail we will talk about repair materials now.
- Cement is a composition that, when mixed with additional components, gives us a cement mortar or high-grade concrete, with which you can pour screeds, plaster the walls, preventing further destruction. Cement is rarely used inside the house, although it has its purpose. More often, special dry mixes are used, thanks to which it is possible to carry out better and faster repairs.
- Putties are dry mixes that, when properly prepared, can give us a quality mortar, ready for repair of almost any surface. There are special wood putties on the market, due to which it is possible to qualitatively restore wooden windows or doors, but most of them are aimed at repairing concrete and brick walls. Using the starting and finishing putties or using universal putties, you can not only repair surfaces, but also smooth them out qualitatively for wallpapering or painting. Therefore, do not forget that putty is capable of many miracles in the repair process!
- Primer is a tool that increases the ability to glue repair and finishing materials, establishes reliable adhesion of putty to the wall, paints with putty, and so on. By applying one or more primers to the prepared surface, you make it more suitable for further repairs.
- Special dry mixes. If the house uses more modern technologies that not only keep up to date, but are also ready to provide really good repairs, you need to use special dry mixes. More detailed information on them is available in a separate article on our site.
- Clay is a material for the repair of old country houses, the so-called mud houses and buildings with old interior decoration. Previously, you could meet many houses with clay inner walls and ceilings, and therefore do not forget about clay as the best material for repairing the same walls.
Materials for internal construction in the country
Materials of internal construction must also be included in the main list, thanks to which there is not only the construction of partitions for redevelopment, but also the alignment of the walls, the separation of small niches in the walls, and the internal architecture. All of them have long been known to us in previous articles, and in standard home repairs, which each of us has repeatedly carried out.
- A wooden bar, board and rail are lumber that allows you to quickly create high-quality and durable frames for internal construction, install special stops, bases, work with such interior accessories as window sills. Wood has always occupied a serious place in construction and decoration, and therefore it is worth remembering it and paying attention to quality products that will participate in construction, restoration, repair and other works for hundreds of years.
- Drywall is a classic material of the internal architecture of any room or office. Depending on the type of gypsum board selected by type and parameters, it is possible to assemble a partition from it that qualitatively divides one room into two, an arch - a beautiful addition to the doorway, a multi-level ceiling frame in the country house, as well as many other works. Using drywall, you can align the walls, set the slopes on the windows, create a perfectly smooth surface for painting the walls.
- OSB and chipboard plates. There is simply a huge difference in them, and the main thing that current masters are paying more attention to is strength and moisture resistance. The first material we have indicated has long bypassed the second in its advantages, but you should always remember that it costs an order of magnitude more. But if a serious construction is going on inside the house (for example, the same pantry is being built), then with the help of such plates a huge amount of work can be performed.
- Polycarbonate, glass, acrylic - materials that are rarely used in interior construction, but they can be used in bathrooms, for example, to create showers. They are environmentally friendly materials and in no way react to humidity and direct contact with water, and therefore do not forget about the possibility of their use.
- The metal profile, suspensions, other fastenings for plates are additional consumables and accessories, without which it is very difficult to work with internal redevelopments and architecture.
What is useful for decorative decoration
This list can be studied not even hours and days, but weeks and months. But, as we agreed, we will only outline a few, and we will focus on the highest quality and most popular materials.
- For finishing ceilings. Here we can take part in whitewashing, water-based emulsion or other paint for interior work, wallpaper, special glass or plastic panels, wooden lining, bamboo wallpapers, cork coverings. It is worth noting the possibility of using polystyrene plates, fabric and stretch ceilings, sectional ceilings, but in the cottages these materials are slightly less in demand than the previous ones.
- For the walls. Here the scope is much wider, because the design of the walls is the basis of the interior. We can choose light or heavy wallpaper, fabric for wall decoration, PVC panels or MDF, the same wooden lining as for the ceiling, wall painting, decorative plaster, textured, the drawing of which you can create yourself. Here it is worth recalling cork, bamboo, liquid wallpaper, as well as plywood, spraying materials and others. If we talk about rooms with special requirements, then the main place may be taken by ceramic tiles, porcelain tiles and mosaics. Naturally, now we are talking about bathrooms and kitchens.
- Mandatory attention must be paid to the finish of the floor. Not only should it be properly insulated and leveled, for which we use the previously described materials (expanded clay, mineral wool, OSB boards, plywood, cement and others), so the floor should become a beautiful and comfortable surface. Here it is already worth starting from the durability and practicality of the coating, because in addition to a long service life, the floor should succumb to simple care. To do this, we are considering options for laminate, linoleum, parquet and boards, ceramic tiles and porcelain tiles, carpet, self-leveling floors and others.
He recommends to think over each separate material of the interior decoration, as well as be sure to thoroughly prepare the surfaces for laying and studying the technological process. This is how it will be possible to make high-quality and beautiful repairs for many years!
It is difficult to call the following materials finishing, but they definitely must be involved in the process, otherwise the planned repair may not work.
This is mounting foam for sealing joints, silicone and acrylic sealants for sealing joints and fittings, waterproofing materials, wood preservatives and others !!!
What is necessary for outdoor work
The exterior decoration of a country house can also be very diverse, but it is worth choosing from those materials that are not just presented by sellers, but already tried by other buyers and left only the best impressions about themselves.
Roof Finishing Materials
Quality roofing - protecting the entire house from all kinds of rainfall. It is she who does not let moisture from rain, snow and hail inside the house. Also, the roof is an indispensable part of the overall roof structure, which creates some heat-insulating layer. In addition, the roof is the decoration of the whole house, because it is it that is visible even from hundreds of meters.
Materials for the device and decoration of the roof of the house is a topic that we recommend studying in a thematic article!
What is finishing the walls of a country house
Exterior wall decoration involves several purposes. One allows you to make high-quality repairs and extend the life of the house, the second simply adorns the facade, and the third is complex, which simultaneously hides all the flaws, but also protects the basic materials of the building from all kinds of influences. Also, a complex exterior finish may also require home insulation.
There are many interesting options for facade work:
- Classical or modern plaster allows you to repair the walls as much as possible even in the process of preparing the surfaces for applying decorative materials. Stucco subsequently protects the walls and decorates the house with a quality pattern and paints. This also includes external molding, a standard “coat”, self-made artificial stone on the walls.
- Thermal insulation boards for facades. Such decoration is complex, as it works not only on the facade cladding of the building, but also increases energy efficiency. It is very convenient in the installation process, but, unfortunately, not the cheapest and most practical.
- Siding, block house, etc. With their help, you can bring the appearance of the house to a more modern, but not only decorate the walls under a new roof, but also protect them for about 15-30 years from further damage due to climate change. These are modern materials that are notable for their high cost, but their quality may be worthy, depending on the manufacturer.
- Facing brick and wall panels. Such decoration increases the aesthetic value of a country house, but it is good when it is performed not only for the sake of beauty, but in a complex way. After all, any exterior decoration is a great opportunity to simultaneously repair and decorate the house outside, as well as extend its life. The good thing is that for these types of cladding, special heaters have long been developed that can be used in the cladding process or before it begins.
- Ventilated facades. They are very fashionable and popular, but often do not meet the expectations of customers, although they look surprisingly pretty.
- Wood sheathing of houses and summer cottages is also an option that, however, is nowhere to be found. But very rarely there are cases when an old wooden house is updated in a classic way.
Finishing materials for base and foundation
By and large, the absolute maximum of the finish used for walls can also be applied on the base, only the owners of large cottages are used to choosing more massive materials for such work, preferably of natural origin. Most often, this is a natural stone, sometimes artificial. In terms of quality and characteristics, they are very similar and differ only in cost and weight.
These materials showed themselves very well in work, and in long service, you just have to choose an experienced specialist for the installation of stone and order the full cycle of work that is needed here. Basement repair, waterproofing, installation of blind areas, preparation for work, the process itself is strictly phased. The correct exterior finish of the base can provide a high level of protection, which is very important for a summer residence.
Having studied just a few materials of the interior and exterior decoration of the home in the country, we come to the point that we most need quality. Naturally, beauty is what most people want, but a bright and beautiful house that flows and flows through is certainly not our choice.
Interior decoration of a country house (video)
Housing repair, construction materials and finishes - all topics that are tightly connected with each other, and therefore we recommend that you pay attention to each of them if you want to get a really high-quality, reliable and comfortable home. If you have additional questions on these topics, or you want to share thoughts on them, we are waiting for your comments!